Friday, May 11, 2007

Run for Fun

In my effort to trim my weight without going on a isolating restricted diet, I decided to expand my regular workout to include more aerobic exercises. So I moved from a somewhat regular weight training workout to a workouts that included running two to three times a week on a treadmill at the gym. I was running about 10 miles a week. My wife, who walks regularly, encouraged me to go out one Sunday and run, so I went for a 4 mile run in fresh air and really really enjoyed it. So I set a goal for myself to increase my mileage from 10 miles to 20 miles a week. Thanks to Smart Coach on Runners World, and being able to map out runs at MapMyRun.com, I will be running 20 miles this week after this Sunday's 9 mile run. I am 9 weeks into a 12 week program that is supposed to increase my speed and thanks to reduced mileage weeks, reduce injuries. There have been only a couple of the training runs that I have not been able to complete. A cramp in my calf kept me from finishing an 8 mile run a few weeks ago, and early one of my speed runs was just too much. After my 12 week program, I think I will just add a new 12 week program to slowly increase my speed to the point where I am running 9 minute miles for my long Sunday runs (my current pace is about 9:40). That may not happen until this time next year, but seems like a reasonable goal. And, no I am not training for a marathon. The last thing my body needs is the abuse of a marathon. 12-13 miles is about as long as I want to run.

No comments: